looking for something?

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm a 25 year old recent graduate school grad who is trying to find my place in the world :)

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

love locks

This will be the first post of my “Bucket List Series” that I hope to continue. Instead of forming a general bucket list, I wanted to create a list full of specific and unique tasks that I hope to someday achieve.




The first on my bucket list is to visit the Pont de l’Archeveche in Paris, France. The Pont de l’Archeveche is a bridge in Paris that is famous for “love padlocks” that are attached to the railing of the bridge by couples from all around the world. The padlocks act as a symbol of the couple’s love for each other and once the lock is attached to the bridge, the key is then tossed into the Seine River below.  These padlocks, cadenzas d’amour in French, are typically engraved with the couples name, initials, a date of significance or a short message.




There are thousands of locks attached to the bridge and while Town Officials are worried about the additional weight the locks add to the bridge, they have yet to take any legal action that will prevent any future locks from being added. Locks have been removed on more than one occasion due to the additional weight but they are quickly replaced. While Town Officials allow these locks to be attached to the Pont de l’Archeveche, they do ask that keys are no longer thrown in the river and tossed elsewhere instead.




I would love to someday visit this bridge and take in the awe the commitment that other couples have taken to each other in the past and even add a love lock to the collection (hint, hint Anthony!).



I would love to not only add a love lock to the collection but eventually go back to Paris to find the lock on the bridge (yup, now I'm planning two trips to Paris).




If you're interested in reading more about the bridge, check out this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment