looking for something?

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm a 25 year old recent graduate school grad who is trying to find my place in the world :)

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

off to school...



After spending the past six years of my life in college, I have learned a thing or two on my own and some of which I wish I learned sooner. So here it is, my tips for surviving college:

GO TO CLASS!!
 

While this may seem quite obvious, it is very easy to skip class in college as you are not being monitored like you were in high school. Now everyone will tell you to go to class because of the obvious reasons such as you're paying for it (and a lot too!), to learn and to take notes. Now I believe that it is a good idea to go to class because of that one annoying, obnoxious student (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) who's life goal is to find out what is on the exam before the exam is given The best part about these students is they succeed 99% of the time and you want to be there when the teacher spills! This way you can study exactly what is on the exam (and not the night before!!). Another benefit of going to class on a regular basis is to meet classmates that can help you outside of class. I can not tell you how often I would text or even receive a text from someone in class regarding material previously covered. Not only are these friendships helpful, they help you determine which students are "group member worthy" because there is nothing worse than having a terrible group member.
.
Do not procrastinate!
Yes, after the end of your college career you will become the master of procrastination and you will learn how much unnecessary stress that it causes. While it can be quite overwhelming when a project is assigned and while due date is months away, there is no motivation to begin. Take it from me, the sooner you start the project, the better off you will be. Even if you make a short and quick outline or even just "googling" ideas, it will get the ball running. There is nothing worse than waiting to the last minute as you will be more concentrated on how stressed you are than the project on hand. Learn from my mistakes!!
Make friends!
Making friends is what will make your college years a blast (do people even still use that saying??)! Your college friends will be able to relate to you better than anyone else and they will help you de-stress on the weekends and even make class more fun!
Use breaks to your advantage
There is nothing more annoying than having an hour break in between classes, especially if you're a commuter student like I was for six years. There is not enough time to go home or even leave campus and you do not have a dorm to retreat to so, where do you go? Depending on the day and my work load, I would go into the campus center and eat a snack and take time to re-organize to make sure that I was aware of all upcoming assignments and exam dates. Then I would take the remaining time to prepare for my next class such as looking over previous notes or reading the assigned material (okay, I skimmed it!). Trust me, these breaks turn into lifesavers throughout the semester!
Use an agenda
Or an even a mobile app to keep track of due dates, group meetings, and events on campus that you might not want to miss. This will keep you from missing due dates and will allow for you to plan accordingly for major projects or exams. Besides, the prettier the agenda, the more likely you are to use it!
Go to office hours!
Who wants to see the professor after class? I know, it might be awkward to see the professor one on one but do not be afraid to approach them during their designated office hours as they can help you with not only their class but even your career! Remember: professors can write awesome recommendation letters and besides, ya might learn a thing or two.
Check your school e-mail
And check it on a daily basis if not more frequently. Your school e-mail is your lifeline to the college and ya never know, there might be a class cancellation and the last thing you want to do is go to a cancelled class. Not only that but information regarding campus events are often sent to your e-mail.
Get your Zzzz's
I know, I know, easier said than done but sleep is important! You cannot properly concentrate in class if you're more concentrated on keeping your eyes open and your head from nodding forward. You will feel more refreshed if you are able to get your body on a normal sleep schedule. Try and go to bed the same time every night, trust me, it will help!
Create good study habits
Such as highlighting in text books, using flash cards, taking notes while reading or joining a study group. It is also beneficial to find a place where you find that you can best concentrate such as a corner in the library or an area in your room. My favorite place to study was anywhere that allowed me to spread out. I would have books, paper, note cards, highlighters and pens all scattered but it was how I found that I best studied.
 Participate in an internship
This is CRUCIAL!! As a pain in the neck as it might sounds, obtaining an internship is an awesome way to not only boost your resume but it allows you to gain experience in your desired field. When you graduate from college, future employers want to see actual field experience that proves you can apply what you have learned in the class room. If youre having difficulty locating an internship, do not be shy to contact your academic adviser or a professor!




Good luck and remember, have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment